Work With Us
Upshot General Application
We're always looking to speak with great candidates who are interested in future opportunities at Upshot. So please submit your resume and be sure to let us know your area of expertise (Creative, Account Management, Digital, Media, Production, Planning, Administrative). If you're a great fit, you'll be hearing from us.Apply Here
Upshot is looking to hire an Account Supervisor who will lead all customer-specific activities for one of our key clients, serving as the face of the agency during conceptions, creative communications design development, sell in, execution and analysis.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of consumer and shopper marketing landscapes and the client's own industry to develop new business opportunities and potential revenue streams within existing client.
- Partner with Planning team members to develop category, channel, customer and competitive brand marketplace insights, identify most value consumer targets, communication strategy, innovation opportunities, promotion program objectives, strategies and tactical recommendations for programs, leveraging key consumer and shopper insights that drive purchase behavior change.
- Demonstrate leadership to internal team members in order to ensure all deliverables are on strategy and meet client expectations
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in Marketing/Brand Management
- 3-5 years of experience in the role of leader or manager in agency, brand management, or media production.
- 6+ years of experience in agency, consumer product, brand management, or media experience preferred
- Superior task management, interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills
- Persuasive presentation and strategic selling skills.
Account Manager (Account Executive)
Are you a creative thinker and self-starter who is able to effectively handle multiple tasks and projects? Upshot is currently seeking a successful Account Manager. The Account Manager serves as the agency relationship manager with the client to ensure their needs and objectives are achieved through execution of strategically grounded marketing programs. A successful Account Manager will deliver measurable results to the client for their brands through program management.
- Project Management duties: Track and manage programs and timelines, maintain budget accuracy, conduct post promotional analyses for reporting throughout the business
- Develop stellar interdepartmental, cross-functional relationships with leaders throughout the company
- Determine project components based on objectives, including concept, event, tactics, associated costs
- Research and party vendors and negotiate services to augment project objectives
- Collaborate with company's sales force, broker organization and/or marketing team throughout program development, execution, and post analysis
- Responsible for managing the creative development process and ensuring all concept, graphic design and copy elements are completed with the appropriate communication priorities and client approvals
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 2-3 years of experience in an agency, consumer the product goods industry, or brand management
- Experience executing consumer promotions, digital, shopper marketing or branding initiatives. Preferred candidate to have one or more of these skill sets.
- Must possess exception written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of developing and utilizing cross functional relationships with stakeholders throughout the business
- Ability to balance multiple projects with conflicting deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
The Account Director functions as the main client relationship manager of Upshot Agency consumer promotion and shopper marketing program deliverables within multiple categories or retail channels.
The primary role of this position is to provide thought leadership and act as the face of Upshot Agency to the senior level sales and marketing teams during conceptual development, communication design, execution and analysis of programs.
A successful Account Director will focus on the financial health of the client, organic business development, effective and efficient program management of the Upshot Agency team, and results that are in concert with client and retailer initiatives. Proficiency in conceptual selling and consulting will be defined by effective written and oral communication skills with clients, customers, and agency partners.
- Demonstrate product category or retail channel ownership with Marketing and Sales client base
- Cultivate strong relationships with client trade, sales and marketing teams, including 3rd party agencies as required, to harmonize cross functional client communications
- Oversee proposals and program presentations for effective and efficient resources to meet the client goals and agency revenue targets
- Identify new business opportunities within existing clients as well as with extended client base
- Synchronize and standardize best practices for client program execution, budgets, tracking, and post-promotional reporting in accordance with company systems and processes
- Effective recruiting, hiring, training, and development of direct reports
- Serve as financial relationship owner for cross agency team departments and clients to deliver timely client decisions and approvals
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience is required, MBA Degree or equivalent experience is preferred in Marketing or Public Relations field
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience
- 6-8 years of experience in the role of leader and manager in agency, CPG, or brand management, including experience in shopper marketing
- Ability to make oral presentations, team building skills, and excellent customer service orientation
- Flexible and adaptable, able to change and alter according to changes in projects or business environment
- Track record of building and maintaining customer and client relationships
- Ability to complete multiple duties with accuracy shifting from one to another with frequent interruptions and competing deadlines
Sr. Account Manager (Sr. Account Executive)
Senior Account Manager
The Senior Account Manager functions as a leader of Upshot Agency consumer promotion and shopper marketing program deliverables within multiple categories or retail channels. Primary role is to serve as a face of the agency to assigned client contacts during creative communications design development, execution and analysis of account and brand specific programs.
A successful Senior Account Manager will organize and synchronize a cross functional team to deliver communication platforms, program concept development, and analysis of results. Must practice effective written and oral communication skills with clients, customers, agency partners and third party vendors.
- When programs move from planning to execution, become the lead agency contact with client
- Develop and own all internal and third party vendor partners
- Demonstrate working knowledge of consumer and shopper marketing landscapes and the client's own industry to develop new business opportunities and potential revenue streams within existing client
- Responsible for understanding what customer and client allow, and identify innovative vehicles or vendors that meet set objectives
- Directly manage program execution, timeline and budget management, as well as post promotional reporting in accordance with company systems and processes.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in Marketing, Brand Management, or related field
- 3-4 years of experience in the in agency, brand management or media production preferred
- 3+ years of experience in consumer product, brand management, or media production experience preferred
- Experience with consumer promotions, shopper marketing, or branding initiatives
Fearless explorers. Envelope pushers. Problem solvers. Idea makers.
You're a hunter of all things design. Great design. You know it when you see it and you constantly bring examples of it to inspire yourself and the team. And you bring them from both the print and digital worlds. You're a gatherer of skills. Design skills, but not design for design sake. You put real thought and context into your designs, and are beginning to understand the integration of copy and visual to create a communications piece. You push for original thinking and collaborate constantly with writers and supervisors.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create collateral in support of various marketing campaigns and utilize experience and knowledge to visually communicate a concept
- Partner with creative team members in creating an environment that fosters creativity, encourages ideas, and promotes growth
- Participate in project meetings with other creative team members, internal departments, and account teams to communicate rationale behind design executions
- Work in multiple disciplines to include art direction and design
- Organize multiple jobs and projects on a daily basis, meet deadlines and expectations, and measure and improve productivity
- Meet departmental goals based on specific Client objectives
- 2-4 years of agency experience
- 2-5 years of design experience with a strong portfolio of professional creative work
- 2+ years of work experience in the consumer products, media, or agency business
- Team building skills
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures
- Ability to work independently and prioritize duties with minimal supervision, in order to meet deadlines
- Able to handle a fast-paced work environment, you are organized and pay attention to the details
- Ability to multiple projects with accuracy, shifting from one to another with frequent interruptions and competing deadlines
- Excellent written communication and verbal communication skills
- Ability to make oral presentations
- Ability to visualize and plan objectives and goals strategically
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and web-browsers
- Great interpersonal skills
- Ability to efficiently utilize MAC computers and current fluency in relevant computer programs such as: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Acrobat, and MS Office Suite e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage
User Experience Lead
The User Experience (UX) Lead is a client-facing role and a critical part of the Digital practice at Upshot. Partnering with Planners, Strategists, Creatives and client stakeholders, the UX Lead is responsible for driving user-centered design thinking across marketing opportunities, including but not limited to large-scaled websites and mapping the journey to purchase. Part Strategist, part Designer, the UX Lead drives discovery and creates innovative, yet executable concepts that address users' needs as well as broader marketing and business objectives for the agency's clients.
- Partner with and consult senior clients to gather requirements, help to define their business/marketing problems. Advise stakeholders during ideation and solutioning project phases.
- Collaborate with multidiscipline teams including planners, strategists, visual designers, technologists, and writers to create and implement solutions that enhance usability, accessibility, and pleasure of the client's marketing presence.
- Design research plans, lead qualitative and quantitative research, including focus groups and user testing and analysis. Collect data/findings and develop insights to support ideation and concept creation.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews; lead persona development; create journey maps, user scenarios, and wireframes; optimize and architect content
- Create prototypes to test, demonstrate, and communicate the validity and potential success of a solution.
- At least of 5 years' experience in a UX Strategy, Design, or related role in an agency or consulting environment.
- Previous experience leading UX Design and/or Strategy for large-scale consumer-facing (B2C) & business-to-business (B2B) websites, with responsibility for research, wireframes, design, testing and optimization.
- A portfolio that includes wireframes, user flows, customer journey mapping, functional specifications, etc. that demonstrate design problem solving skills that translate business problems and requirements into compelling consumer experiences.
- Proven ability to uncover and translate fresh insights into impactful large-scale digital design solutions that address marketing and/or business problems. <
- Demonstrated ability presenting in client meetings and strategy sessions.
- Expert knowledge of UX tools including Adobe CC, Axure, InVision, Sketch.
- A Bachelor's degree in Human-Computer Interaction or related field is required; a Master's degree is a plus.
Freelance Senior Developer
The Senior Developer will produce and maintain complex responsive web sites and applications working closely with clients and internal UX, Creative (visual design), and Development teams to solve problems and innovate.
- Based on functional specifications, optimize development for User Experience
- Develop prototypes of the solution's high-level interaction, navigation, and organization design depicting all elements of a unique screen type, including the content, functional, and navigation specifications
- Utilize low-fidelity, medium-fidelity, and high-fidelity prototypes across the different stages of the design
- Translate visual designs into completed HTML pages while strictly adhering to design specifications
- Assess existing solutions for usefulness, usability, and coding techniques
- Articulate digital solutions to both senior technologists and non-digital audiences
- Implement front-end structure and standards and ensure integrity of the UI throughout development life-cycle
- Ensure cross-browser, cross-platform and multiple device type compatibility and resolve issues
- Work within frameworks (Foundation, Bootstrap) to create responsive layouts
- Identify tools, templates, and techniques that evolve existing approaches
- Stay current on web technology trends and innovations and share information with the team
Requirements and Experience Guidelines:
- 5+ years experience working with responsive web designs and mobile web sites in an agency or consulting firm environment
- Bachelor's degree required
- Versed in user-centered design methods and techniques
- Ability to work collaboratively on multi-disciplinary teams (in a consulting firm or agency preferred)
- Experience with wireframes and proof-of-concept mockups
- Excellent analytical and process-oriented skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience in working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to learn new UI technologies quickly
- Understanding of SEO best practices and content hierarchy
- Fluent and expert in:
- .NETHTML and CSS to start and React
- Node.js, MongoDB, Gulp, Webpack
- Meteor.js a plus
Social Media Strategist
Social Media Strategist
We are looking for a driven Social Media Strategist to develop and manage creative and engaging strategies across various social and digital platforms. This individual will report to the Social Media lead and work across multiple clients.
Core objectives for this role include elevating customer engagement efforts, driving website traffic, growing brand awareness, supporting sales, and otherwise informing social strategy to support overall business goals.
Candidates should have a solid understanding of "go to" and innovative social media channel tactics, a creative approach to content development, and an overall understanding of digital brand activation.
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, social listening, creative, strategy analysis and audience identification
- Manage the production of ongoing content and paid strategies to build meaningful connections and inspire community members to take action
- Work cross-functionally to manage teams across Analytics, Media and Creative teams in terms of social activation
- Continuously improve strategy by capturing and analyzing the appropriate data to drive social insights and best practices
- Serve as a key contact for client management, which includes:
- Managing a team of social media managers that will manage day-to-day social media activities across multiple clients
- Staying up to date on recent social and digital trends and activations to help support agency wide social acumen
- Proactively identifying opportunities to further integrate social media into broader marketing programs
- 3 to 5 years of experience in social media marketing or as a digital media strategist
- Digital agency experience preferred
- Excellent consulting, writing, and editing e.g. photo, video, text skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of social platforms and tools
- Some knowledge of web design, web development, CRM and SEO
- Knowledge of online marketing and good understanding of major marketing channels
- Positive attitude, detail and customer oriented with good multitasking and organizational ability
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PPT
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Liberal Arts, Marketing, New Media or PR preferred
Upshot is looking to hire a Digital Strategist to bring strategic, analytical and innovative thinking to help solve the challenges our clients face in a world transformed by digital. We are seeking someone who can connect the dots, discover trends to tell great stories, and collaborate on creating digital solutions that drive great client results.
The Digital Strategist will develop research approaches, campaign strategies, drive marketing automation efforts. This person will also support the agency planning team members on larger initiatives.
If you are a storyteller, creative thinker, and collaborative team player who understands the digital ecosystem, then we want to talk to you.
- Work closely with the senior client leaders, clients, account, creative, technology, UX, analytics and media teams to build roadmaps, customer journeys and strategies that inform digital campaigns, website redesigns, online videos, email campaigns, social media content and more
- Engage in writing, presenting, and defending creative, brand, and strategic ideas, concepts, POVs and campaigns
- Collaborate in the development of research projects needed to inform campaign initiatives with an expertise in competitive analysis
- Develop target audience personas and use research to map their journeys across consumer touch points
- Analyze, synthesize and present consumer data (in collaboration with the analytics team), market reports and trends to clients
- Adapt digital marketing strategies to reflect changes in customer behaviors
- Evaluate new technologies or marketing opportunities as they emerge
- Analyze results from primary research to ensure insights are integrated into future work
- Develop frameworks to help clients refine and evolve their digital marketing strategies
- Use of third party audience profiling and social listening tools to develop audience profiles and derive consumer insights
- Drive marketing automation strategies and technologies that enable them
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA is a plus
- 5 to 7 years of digital agency, client marketing, or entrepreneurial strategic experience
- Experienced across digital marketing channels: online, direct, CRM, interactive, SEO, SEM, content, and social
- Preferably some background in account planning or driving big ideas and platform ideas for brands beyond tactical executions
- Experience writing, presenting, and defending strategic ideas, concepts, POVs and campaigns in the digital landscape
- Expertise in developing presentations of key strategy and tactical insights
- Proven ability to analyze and synthesize data, market reports and trends
- Prior experience leading primary consumer research efforts both quantitative and qualitative, with the ability to develop scripts for stakeholder interviews, conduct interviews and synthesize data and insights gathered into actionable recommendations across client digital properties/channels
- Ability to prioritize, work quickly under pressure, and maintain flexibility
- Ability to act as a bridge between technical, creative and marketing partners
You've been an analyst for a couple of years, and are ready to take a step up to drive strategic insights. You have strong experience in web, media, and predictive analytics and want to use them to uncover consumer insights and identify market opportunities for client brands. You're the kind of person who likes looking at data to answer the "so what?" question to uncover the insights that will drive business results for clients. This position is within a fast-growing group at an agency that is consistently recognized as one of Chicago's best places to work, and a great place to take the next step in your career.
The Strategic Analyst role uses data to help identify and drive strategic insights for brands. Success in this role requires a strong grasp of working with data and statistics and being able to apply them to develop strategic and consumer insights for our client brands. In this role, you will work closely with the Analytics Director to identify and show opportunities for our clients to grow their business and to successfully deliver on business objectives. This individual reports directly to the Analytics Director.
Strategic Planning and Testing
- Leverage 1st and 3rd party data to identify consumer insights
- Execute media and marketing tests and perform mid-test and post-test analyses
- Prepare initial test reports and presentations
- Work with media team to prepare reach and frequency analyses of media plans
- Collect and organize data for strategic recommendations
- Under direction of Analytics Director, assist in attribution and ROI model development
- Assist Analytics Director in the development of business models
- Work with media and seamless teams to incorporate models into ongoing reporting
- Collaborate with digital teams on tag management strategies and measurement technology implementations
- Collaborate with Analytics Director on data collection and storage of campaign and media data
- Under direction of Analytics Director, perform campaign performance deep dives
- Execute attribution analyses for media campaigns
- Initiate and execute statistical analyses of business data
- Develop forecasts for campaigns and media plans
- Meet regularly with vendor and technology solution partners to stay abreast of industry trends and potential client partnerships
- Participate in projects outside of team responsibilities such as: training, POV presentations, process ideas, conferences, lunch and learns, symposiums, etc.
- Self-education; set aside time each week to read through trades and review with supervisor to discuss and ask any questions
- Master Upshot analytics tool suite (some varying depending on client needs): R, Python, Doubleclick, Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc.
- Remain abreast of developments in marketing analytics and data science
The Media Supervisor is responsible for the development and set up of total media plans (traditional and digital channels) on the accounts assigned to him/her. This is inclusive of strategic development, involvement in creative brainstorms, tactical plan development and monitoring of post plan set-up and reporting deliverables. He/she has a strong working knowledge of the media space and an ability to lead plan development and provide recommendations to the senior management and/or client. This person reports directly to the Media Director and is responsible for the management of any assigned Media Associate(s).
- Works with the AMD to interpret briefs - ask clarifying questions, leads and assists in the development of media plans/recommendations
- Gathers target insights utilizing research tools and resources to aide in planning recommendations and campaign development
- Leads upfront target and planning research: competitive, Simmons, eMarketer, etc.
- Acts as the lead for developing strategic insights that build a larger connection strategy to appropriately reach the target consumer(s)
- Assists in budget planning & forecasting
- Leads the development of tactical media plans & presentations, presenting for internal approval and to clients once approved
- Lead measurement plans in collaboration with Analytics Director, identifying key metrics needed to deliver on goals
- Approve Associate-led development of media plan flowcharts, media estimates and specs/assets for production and account leads
- Approve RFP & consideration set proposed by Associates
- Lead negotiations with sales reps and vendors to finalize media plans
- Provide guidance and approval of social recommendations led by Associates & Community Managers to ensure plans deliver on client objectives
- Collaborate with Technology & Operations Manager to ensure tactical recommendations are carried through as planned
- Participate in vendor kick-off calls, ensuring strategic and tactical details are maintained when work transitions to Technology & Operations Manager and assigned Associate
- Approve any changes to media plan flowcharts and make sure clients are aware of any strategic implications to the plan
- Assist leadership with providing new and creative application of media, educating and collaborating with team members and acting as a leading and credible resource at the agency
- Assist with new business projects/pitches
- Assist in the development of media and cross-department processes for department and agency-wide rollout
- Maintain the best possible relationship with clients, seamless teams, and sales reps in order to further mutual interests of the agency and its clients
- Keep abreast of market and consumer information pertinent to developing effective and efficient media plans our clients
- 5-7 years integrated media (planning and buying) experience
- Agency experience is a must in a client-facing role
- Bachelor's degree
- Ability to lead, delegate and hold team members & direct reports accountable for media activity by client
- Presentation development and execution
- Mastery of media tools and technology
- Ability to provide informed POV across all media channels
Digital Ad Tech Specialist
Digital Ad Tech Specialist
Upshot is looking for a Digital Technology Specialist with a strong background in ad ops experience as well as a strong POV on the digital technology space. This person ensures trafficking, tagging, floodlights, QA is all running and set up as smoothly as possible.
Oversight of backend system setup, trafficking, tagging and QA: Act as an internal resource with extensive ad operations expertise that can double check backend system setup and problem solve on advanced systems tracking.
Work with Media Supervisors to ensure trafficking, campaign optimizations, troubleshooting and reporting are being managed.
Manage Associates in the basic aspects of the trafficking process, including connecting placements to creatives, setting up consistent URL configurations and collecting clean data. Lead the more complex aspects of trafficking including Floodlight tags, DMP integrations, dynamic creative, etc.
Lead in troubleshooting known or suspected problems with the tagging/tracking technology used in implemented projects.
Lead conversations with the media team on ways to work faster and smarter to prevent errors, ensure consistency and guarantee that all elements of the QA checklist are being followed. Double check system.
Work with analytics team on tagging and ensuring site journey and tagging structure is fully mapped to campaign goals and objectives.
Manage technology relationships across various operation systems, insights tools and discovery systems.
External vendor relationships, management of internal access, system training and setup, POV and system negotiations.
Client facing Agency POVs, Internal education and system roll-outs on various topics.
2 to 4 years of experience in Ad Operations.
Highly detail oriented, obsessed with accuracy, a strong critical thinker and able to juggle multiple tasks and clients.
Strong experience across digital platforms e.g. ad servers, dynamic creative, DCM, Sizmek, Flashtalking, Spongecell, Tag Management Systems, GTM and VVF vendors and programmatic, DMPs, DSPs, Exchanges.
Knowledge of online advertising, measurement methods and related technologies e.g. DoubleClick, Google Analytics.Apply Here
Senior Marketing Manager
Do you have 5-7 years of marketing experience in a professional services firm? Ideally at an advertising, marketing, design or PR agency. We're looking for a senior manager to help build Upshot's awareness in the marketplace and attract potential clients. This is not a client facing position, it's marketing the Upshot brand. The ideal candidate is an engaging and persuasive writer/storyteller. Is as comfortable crafting an award entry as they are a tweet. Has serious project management chops, a keen eye for detail and can juggle multiple tasks. The role is about 50% writing (mostly website content) and 50% project management (mostly managing awards process). So, if you have proven experience doing both, then we'd love to hear from you.Apply Here
Freelance Marketing Communications Designer
We're looking to add a freelance designer (or two) to have in our back pocket for upcoming quick turn, surge projects onsite in our Chicago office. A typical project runs from two days to a week and includes designing presentations to support our client teams. But since nothing in this industry is typical, here's what ideal candidates look like.
You have a background in marketing communications design, designing presentations, white papers, case studies, etc. Know how to pull a look and feel through a presentation; think style versus templates. Have a proven skill with communication hierarchy in design. And can interpret poorly hand drawn charts into easy to understand masterpieces. Your colleagues would say you are a wiz at visual storytelling and have an enthusiastic attitude.
Is this you? Send us your qualifications along with design samples of presentations, white papers, charts and any other communications design materials you think would wow us.
- Excellent design skills: ability to create, design and layout different pieces and elements based on the task at hand from a chart to a one pager to long form presentation decks
- 5 to 7 years design experience in a professional services firm, preferably a marketing or advertising firm
- Able to take, understand and interpret direction and feedback from cross functional teams
- Strong problem solving skills: adept at finding the best creative solution in any situation
- Experience designing across a variety of categories and industries, and able to use the appropriate tone and mesh it with the Upshot style
- Expert in Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Proficient in PowerPoint and Google Docs and Slides
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, Outlook
- Design charts, white papers, presentations, credentials and RFI, RFP requests